Starting an e-commerce site is not an easy task. Developing a business plan and selecting the software and hardware to handle business operations require hard work, diligence, and thorough research. "Veteran merchants know that owning and operating an e-business is a continuous developmental process. Some phases, such as domain registration, obviously need to be done only once (unless a mercant decides to register another domain name), but most of the other steps are part of an ongoing process to keep an e-business au courant" (Rush).
Step-by-step guide on starting an e-commerce site
- Register a domain name, which will be used to identify your e-commerce site. Register.com, see picture, is among the most popular sites to do so.
- Build the e-commerce site by hand or hire someone to do it.
- Find a site host for the domain to reside.
- Accept different payment types such as cash, credit cards, and money orders.
- Make the site safe and secure using the latest security technology.
- Promote the e-commerce site using banners and other advertisements.
- Maintain the site.
- Keep the customers with good customer service and support.
- "Globalize" the site by allowing multi-language support.
- Stay educated about the latest e-commerce technology and innovations (Rush).